Undergraduate Academic Advising

Cal Poly offers many helpful academic advising resources, starting with a summer advising program, SLO Days, prior to entrance into Cal Poly, and continuing with department-based advising in food science and nutrition.

FSN Peer Advising Center staffed with well-trained, experienced students to help with schedule planning and related academic questions. Peer advising is located in building 74M-A100. General advising questions can be emailed to cafesadvising@calpoly.edu.

FSN Undergraduate Academic Advisor
Cathy Bartholomew

Building 74M-A110
Please email to schedule appointment and provide your available days and times.

Flowcharts and Current Catalog Information

FSN Academic Advising Goals

The food science and nutrition academic advising goals for every student are:

  • To succeed at coursework and graduate in a timely manner
  • To take responsibility for their education

To facilitate these goals, the departmental undergraduate Academic Advisor, Cathy Bartholomew helps students with:

  • Proper course selection and degree requirements
  • Using and interpreting the Degree Progress Report
  • Understanding and adhering to academic policies
  • Providing suggestions and referrals for other campus support services (study abroad, counseling, tutoring, etc.)
  • Obtaining a food science or nutrition minor
  • Changing major into the department
  • Course substitutions

FSN Peer Advisors are available to assist students with:

  • How to use Degree Planner/Schedule Builder to search and register for classes
  • Schedule planning (FSN 101 or other)
  • Class planning
  • General university questions/referrals

FSN Faculty Advisors are available to assist students with:

  • In-depth questions regarding concentration
  • Internship opportunities
  • Career/Industry issues and questions
  • Questions about Graduate school opportunities/directions

Change of Major

Are you a Cal Poly student interested in switching from your current major to food science or nutrition?

  • Review the Criteria for Transfer into Food Science (PDF) or the Criteria for Transfer into Nutrition (PDF)
  • Your FSN Academic Advisor, Cathy Bartholomew will be alerted when you complete a Change of Major Inquiry Form on your Cal Poly Portal. Please review the Criteria pdf above for further details.
  • The change of major will be approved once the student has successfully met all of the requirements of the ICMA. The ICMA will cover no more than two quarters. The ICMA may include the following components:
    • 1. Maximum of three specified courses or 12 units in the target major.
      2. Additional courses and/or units to allow the student to meet minimum progress standards and complete degree applicable units in both majors, whenever possible (e.g., GE courses or electives a student could use to meet degree requirements in both current and target majors).
      3. GPA requirements, as determined by the department (e.g., overall/term GPA, GPA in major-specified courses, GPA in past two quarters).
      4. If applicable, specific steps to be met to resume good academic standing status.

Nutrition Minor

The minor is designed for students majoring in science disciplines (chemistry, biological sciences, kinesiology) and other interested majors such as psychology. Students can enhance career opportunities or qualification for admission into graduate programs or allied health fields. For more information on course requirements for the nutrition minor please follow this link: Cal Poly Catalog

The criteria for enrollment in the minor are shown in the Nutrition Minor Criteria Form (PDF). The department has strictly enforced these enrollment criteria. If you meet these criteria and want to ask questions or enroll, please reach out to the department office at fsn@calpoly.edu.

Food Science Minor

The minor is principally designed for students majoring in related academic disciplines who desire employment in the food industry. Students acquire the fundamental technical skills necessary to understand basic issues and concepts in food science such as food processing, food safety, and quality assurance.  For more information on course requirements for the Food Science Minor please follow this link: Cal Poly Catalog

Enrollment Criteria:

1. Completion of FSN 125 or 230 (or officially articulated equivalent from another college/university with B or better.

2. Sophomore standing or beyond.

3. Cal Poly GPA of 3.0 or better.  Incoming transfer students must complete at least your first quarter at Cal Poly with GPA 3.0 or above.

If you meet the criteria for minor enrollment above, please send Dr. Amanda Lathrop an email expressing interest along with a copy of your Poly Profile showing that you meet the requirements.

Declare Concentration

To declare a concentration, please complete this form

The form will request the following information:

  • Full Name
  • Empl ID
  • Major
  • Catalog Year (i.e., 15-17, 17-19, 19-20, etc.)
  • Concentration you wish to pursue* - Please include the official name for your chosen concentration.

* Make sure your chosen concentration is available for the catalog you are following.

Refer to catalog.calpoly.edu for the current catalog.

Related Content