FSN Pilot Plant & Labs
To provide a top of the line learning center for our students while also promoting safe, sustainable, and nutritious foods through interfacing with the food industry.
- Pilot-Scale Test Production of a wide variety of products
- Product Formulation/Process Development
- Sensory Evaluation of Food Products
- Quality Control/Product Evaluations
- Food Safety Research and Education
Chocolate Making Equipment
Steam Jacketed Kettles
- Foods Safety Lab - Capable of testing and monitoring bacterial activity in food products/processes. We can analyze food products and determine what potential food safety concerns are associated, as well as provide general testing support.
- Sensory Evaluation Lab - Perform objective and subjective tests to evaluate flavor, texture, and appearance of various food. Statistical analysis of how various attributes are reported by the consumer.
- Quality Control Lab - Determine water activity, moisture content, true color, viscosity, pH, percent soluble solids, as well as other quality-related tests.
- Culinary Science / Product Development Lab - Full kitchen capability. We have everything that is needed to make any culinary creation including baked products. Equipment includes pilot scale proofers, convection ovens, refrigeration units, batch mixers, etc.
- Nutrition and Health Assessment Lab - Analysis of body composition with the use of Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA). Also included in this facility are a tissue culture lab, as well as infrastructures for anthropometric measurements and indirect calorimetry.