Minors and Change of Major

Nutrition Minor

The minor is designed for students majoring in science disciplines (Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Kinesiology), Agribusiness or Agricultural Communications, and other interested majors such as Business or Psychology. Students can enhance career opportunities or qualification for admission into graduate programs or allied health fields. For more information on course requirements for the Nutrition Minor please follow this link: Cal Poly Catalog

The criteria for enrollment in the minor are shown in the Nutrition Minor Criteria Form (PDF). The Department has strictly enforced these enrollment criteria. If you meet these criteria and have any questions, please reach out to the Nutrition Minor corrdinator, Dr. Angelos Sikalidis at asikalid@calpoly.edu.

To apply for the Nutrition Minor, click here: Nutrition Minor Application

Food Science Minor

The minor is principally designed for students majoring in related academic disciplines who desire employment in the food industry. Students acquire the fundamental technical skills necessary to understand basic issues and concepts in food science such as food processing, food safety, and quality assurance.  For more information on course requirements for the Food Science Minor please follow this link: Cal Poly Catalog

Enrollment Criteria:

1. Completion of FSN 125 or 230 (or officially articulated equivalent from another college/university with B or better.

2. Sophomore standing or beyond.

3. Cal Poly GPA of 3.0 or better.  Incoming transfer students must complete at least your first quarter at Cal Poly with GPA 3.0 or above.

If you meet the criteria for minor enrollment above, and have any questions, please send an email to stjung@calpoly.edu.

To apply for the Food Science Minor, click here: Food Science Minor Application

Change of Major

Are you a Cal Poly student interested in switching from your current major to Food Science or Nutrition?

  • Review the Criteria for Transfer into Food Science (PDF) or the Criteria for Transfer into Nutrition (PDF). If you meet the Change of Major Criteria,
  • Contact FSN Academic Advisor, Cathy Bartholomew at bartholo@calpoly.edu. Please email to schedule an appointment and provide your available days and times. Her office is located at 74M-A110.
  • Develop an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) with Cathy Bartholomew, Academic Advisor.
  • The change of major will be approved once the student has successfully met all of the requirements of the ICMA. The ICMA will cover no more than two quarters. The ICMA may include the following components:
  1.  Maximum of three specified courses or 12 units in the target major
  2.  Additional courses and/or units to allow the student to meet minimum progress standards and complete degree applicable units in both majors, whenever possible (e.g., GE courses or electives a student could use to meet degree requirements in both current and target majors).
  3.  GPA requirements, as determined by the department (e.g., overall/term GPA,   GPA in major-specified courses, GPA in past two quarters).
  4.  If applicable, specific steps to be met to resume good academic standing status.

Related Content

Coming Soon!