Dietetic Internship Admission Requirements
Applicants to the Cal Poly, SLO Dietetic Internship must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited school and have met the Didactic Program in Dietetics requirements as specified by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics. They must present a Verification Statement or Declaration of Intent to Complete Degree and/or Minimum Academic Requirements prior to admission into the internship. The best-qualified applicants will be chosen and this program does not discriminate on the basis of color, race, creed, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation or disability.
Interns need to have a criminal background check before they are officially admitted into the program as well as a criminal background check and drug screen by some hospitals and school districts. Acceptance is contingent on passing the background checks and completion of the program. Please research and consider your own circumstances before applying to the program.
Selection of interns will be based on the following criteria:
- Overall GPA of 2.8 and GPA 3.0 DPD.
- Paid and volunteer experience in field of dietetics outside classroom field assignments. Other experience will also be considered;
- Three letters of recommendation - one must be from an employer or supervisor at a paid or volunteer position (preferably a R.D.), two from professors from the DPD program;
- Quality of personal statement will be evaluated for passion in the field, career goals, why Cal Poly's a good match;
- Leadership and participation in professional, social, and school organizations are highly desired;
- Phone interviews for top rated applicants;
- A nutrition therapy or clinical nutrition course completed within the last five years (or recent clinical experience may be substituted);
- A biochemistry course completed within the last five years.
- Program does not award credit for prior experience.
We are looking for interns who are dedicated to the field of dietetics, are self-motivated and self-starters, and team players who can also work independently.
For Internships Participating in Centralized Application System for Spring 2017 Computer Matching Process:
- The program is using the on-line centralized internship application, DICAS, which may be accessed at https://portal.dicas.org (NOTE: The DICAS portal won't be available until after December 1, 2016, for the Spring Match); e-mail DICASinfo@DICAS.org. The on-line application must be completed for our program by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 15, 2017. The fee to use DICAS is $40 for the first application submitted and $20 for each additional application.
- Applicants who apply to the internships using DICAS will be asked to complete a personal in 1,000 words or less (8,000 characters or less). Questions to be addressed in the personal statement include:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to: DICAS - Transcript Dept., PO Box 9118, Watertown, MA 02472.
- When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed on-line. Students submitting more than one application will need to use the same individuals as references for each application.
- Applicants must also register online for computer matching with D & D Digital at http://www.dnddigital.com and select dietetic internship priority choices by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 15. There is a $50.00 computer matching fee.
- Verification Statement Substantiating Completion of (or Declaration of Intent to Complete) Degree and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics-Approved Minimum Academic Requirements from your Didactic Program Director.
- Three letters of reference and one must be from an employer or supervisor from a paid or volunteer position, preferably an R.D. Two should be from professors in the DPD program.
- Non-refundable application fee of $65, due with application, received by February 15, 2017.
YOU MUST PAY THE $65 APPLICATION FEE ONLINE IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION INTO OUR INTERNSHIP. You pay by going the Extended Education website at: calpoly.augusoft.net/index.cfm?method=ClassListing.ClassListingDisplay
The Cal Poly Computer Matching Code is 181.
Non-refundable application fee of $65, due with application, received by February 15, 2017.
Tuition and Fees 2017-18
- The non-refundable fee of $15,300* is due by August 15, 2017
- This fee is based on 9 students and is subject to CSU fee increase
- Student loans are not available for dietetic interns at Cal Poly, SLO.
* Subject to approval by the university fee committee.
Other Internship Related Expenses
- Academy of Dietetics and Nutrition Affiliate membership $50
- CAND Annual Meeting (hotel and transportation) $400-600
- Campus parking ($5 x 27 weeks) $135
- Books, supplies, local meetings, lab coat $300-400
- TB test & Hepatitis B vaccination $175
- Rent - interns make own living arrangements $600-$1200/month
- Transportation - must have own automobile cost varies
- Personal health insurance cost varies
- Cal Poly ID card $5